Due to global supply chain constraints lead times for shipments may be delayed. We are actively working with our suppliers to mitigate shortages and improve lead times. If you have questions, please contact your AMRtechnologiesInc. representative at 1-800-213-0227 or submit your question AMRtechsolar@gmail.com
KiloVault Batteries-KiloVault HLX+ 3600Wh Lithium Deep Cycle Battery - 12V (3600 HLX+ UL)
Combining features of KiloVault's HLX and CHLX lithium-ion batteries, the HLX+ series is designed and tested to be the first deep cycle battery for both hot and cold climates - and climates that experience both extremes.
The 3600 HLX+ is a 12V lithium ion battery perfect for drop-in replacement of lead-acid batteries in a renewable energy system, providing more energy (300Ah, 3.6kWh) per battery and a higher cycle count (up to 5000) - with less weight and no regular maintenance required. Also available in 1.2kWh capacity and 2.4kWh capacity sizes.
In addition to solar and renewable energy systems, HLX+ batteries also excel in any other 12V application both off-grid or on-grid, including RVs/campers, boats, golf carts, lighted signs, and medical devices. And with some of the highest surge ratings in its class, the HLX+ can handle loads like power tools and kitchen appliances with ease.
Like previous versions of the HLX battery, the HLX+ features integrated Bluetooth for use with the KiloVault HLX app for Android and iPhone for easy monitoring of battery health and performance.
HLX+ batteries can be combined in up to 4 batteries in series OR parallel (but not both).
KiloVault 3600 HLX+ Lithium Battery Specs
- NEW - Works in both hot and sub-freezing environments - ambient temperatures of -4°F (-20°F) to 131°F (55°C)
- NEW - 100 amp-hour cells have 2x capacity of original HLX batteries, providing increased power output and efficiency
- NEW - Push-button display shows instantaneous state-of-charge readings for a better understanding of your batteries' health
- Can be configured for 12V, 24V, or 48V systems by using one, two, or four batteries in series
- Can be discharged to its full rated capacity of 3600 Watt-hours (100% depth of discharge)
- Even after completely discharging 2000 times (or discharging to 80% 5000 times), 80% of the 3.6 kWh capacity remains
- Handles 150A of continuous charging current and 200A of continuous discharging current
- Maintenance-free – no watering, cleaning, or hazardous chemicals
- Higher efficiency and lower cost per Watt-hour than lead acid batteries
- Lithium ferro phosphate cell chemistry (LiFePO4) is safer than other lithium-ion technologies and has no hazardous chemicals or thermal runaway problems
- Integrated Bluetooth for use with the KiloVault HLX app to monitor battery health and performance
- Certifications: UL1973, UL1642, UN38.3, IEC62619, CE, OSHA 18001/ISO45001, ISO 9001/1400
- 7.5-year warranty
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ BEFORE COMMISSIONING YOUR SYSTEM
- EACH HLX+ battery must be charged to 14.0V before placing it into operation with other batteries, otherwise the batteries will independently hit "full" or "empty" and shut off before others in the same bank.
- Equalization charge must be turned off in your solar charge controller or AC charger. If left on, the equalization charge will raise the voltage too high, damage the batteries, and void the warranty.
- Bulk/Absorption charge voltage should be set to no higher than 14.0V for a 12V system, 28.0V for 24V system, and 56.0V for a 48V system (and lower for high-amperage chargers). Going any higher risks one or more batteries automatically shutting off from high-voltage protection.
- Similarly, the inverter's low voltage cutoff should be set no lower than 12.0V, 24.0V and 48.0V for a 12V, 24V and 48V system, respectively. Going any lower risks one or more batteries automatically shutting off from low-voltage protection.
- When turning on breakers to inverters, charge controllers, battery monitors, etc. connected to the batteries, wait 45-60 seconds between powering up each device. The HLX+'s battery management system (BMS) has special circuitry to detect short circuits and protect itself. Many brands of inverters, charge controllers, and battery monitors will present a brief but high surge that the BMS may interpret as a short. The HLX+ can handle one of these perceived shorts every 45-60 seconds. Alternatively, in most circumstances all devices can be powered up at once but the batteries will go into auto-protect mode and turn off for 30-60 seconds but then restart normally.
- Be sure to tighten the battery terminals before operating. Failure to do so will lead to the terminals overheating, melting the case, and potentially causing a fire.
- It is VERY important to give your new HLX+ batteries a full charge as soon as you unbox them, even if you're not going to commission them right away.
KiloVault 3600 HLX+ Lithium Battery FAQs
- Should I insulate the battery? Batteries heat up when they charge, so if you insulate the box they are in, they will retain the heat better and stay warmer. But make sure to remove the insulation in the hot months, as overheated batteries have shorter lives.
- Just how hot and cold can the HLX+ operate? The optimal temperature range overall is 59 - 95°F (15 - 35°C). Installation location temperatures must be greater than 32°F (O°C) and less than 113°F (45°C). The battery will not charge below 32°F (0°C) to protect itself from damage. In ambient temperatures below 32°F (O°C) down to -4° (-20°C), charging current to the HLX+ powers an internal heater to warm the battery up. Once its internal temperature reaches 32°F, charging current then begins charging the battery normally. It takes approximately 1.5 hours for the battery to heat up from -4°F to 41°F (-20°C to 5°C).
- Can I mix and match models or brands? This is not good practice with any battery bank. Because of new and improved battery cells and BMS, the HLX+ line is NOT compatible with original HLX batteries.
- What are the recommended charge controller/inverter settings? Please see the owner's manual linked below.
- Should I do an equalization charge on the batteries? Much like AGM batteries, an equalization charge could damage HLX+ batteries by overcharging them.
- Will my batteries arrive fully charged, or do I need to charge them? You will need to charge them (shipping guidelines do not allow deep cycle batteries to be fully charged during shipment). **Before putting the batteries into operation, they must ALL be charged to exactly the same voltage (choose a voltage between 14.0-14.4,V but make sure they are *ALL* the same). This will ensure you start with an even charge across the battery bank. We do NOT recommend using the Iota IQ-LIFEPO Smart Charger accessory for use with KiloVault batteries because the charge voltage is too high.
- Can I do a constant trickle charge on the batteries? This is not recommended. Unlike lead-acid batteries, LiFePO4 batteries self-consume energy at such a low rate (0.020 amps or about 6 Watt-hours/day) that the battery can be easily over-charged if put on a trickle charger. Over-charging the battery triggers the over-charge protection - shutting it down until the voltage goes down enough by itself. Once that happens the trickle charger would quickly raise the voltage up too high once again. As a result, the constant cycling of this circuitry will shorten the life of the entire battery.
What do I need to know when wiring the batteries in parallel?
- A maximum of 4 batteries can be used in series OR parallel, but NOT both. No battery banks of 2x2, 2x4, 3x2, etc.
- If - and only if - the installation will stay above freezing, then you can have a bank of up to 4 parallel strings of 4 batteries (16 in total).
- When adding new batteries in parallel to existing ones, first charge ALL the batteries to 100%.
- It is important to maintain all parallel series strings within 0.2V of each other.
- Is it bad to overcharge or over-discharge the battery? Yes. This will decrease the life of the battery. It's best to never discharge or charge the battery to the point where it has to shut down to protect itself.
Is there firmware that needs to be updated? There is an update kit available. Please call Real Goods if:
- After properly calibrating the battery(s) state of charge, the battery falsely reports gradual increases or decreases of the SoC to the HLX iT Mobile app
- Under certain low-load conditions, the batteries periodically re-boot themselves (although they will restart automatically, it may require having to manually restart the connected equipment)
The Update Kit will add the latest firmware version, and address the issues above. You will need to register your batteries on the KiloVault website. You can register multiple batteries of the same model in a registration form entry. You will also see an option on the registration form to request your free update kit. Once registered, our Tech Support team will check the version of your batteries, and send out the proper update kit.
HLX Version Compatibility Matrix
|HLX V1||HLX V2||HLX V3||CHLX||HLX+|
|HLX V1||Use Surge Adapter on V1||Use Surge Adapter on V1 and V2||Use Surge Adapter on V1||Maybe - Use Surge Adapter on V1, plus, only if bank stays above freezing||No|
|HLX V2||Use Surge Adapter on V1 and V2||Use Surge Adapter on V2||Use Surge Adapter on V2||Maybe - Use Surge Adapter on V2, plus, only if bank stays above freezing||No|
|HLX V3||Use Surge Adapter on V1||Use Surge Adapter on V2||Yes||Only if bank stays above freezing||No|
|CHLX||Maybe - Use Surge Adapter on V1, plus, only if bank stays above freezing||Maybe - Use Surge Adapter on V2, plus, only if bank stays above freezing||Only if bank stays above freezing||Yes||No|
This Product does not include Tax and shipping costs. International shipping is subject to regulations and Import Taxation of Country of destination.
AMRtechnologies Inc. Solar & Electrical Systems
Tel: (+506) 7037-8077 or Toll Free: 1(800) 2130227
Solar Systems in United States & Latin America